Hamilton District Historical Society

Contact: Elizabeth Fraser.  [email protected] C/- Post Office, Hamilton Tasmania 7140. Small museum and archives held in the old Warden building next to the Council Chambers.

The Hamilton collection consists of family documents, photographs and objects. A new display of Matron Elizabeth Orr who worked in South Africa during the first world war.

9 Responses to “Hamilton District Historical Society”

1.   Marlene Mesenberg
    March 18th, 2013 | 10:56 am      

I am hoping that you might have some archival records associated with the deaths of a father and son at Hamilton. George Wynne Teagle aged 1 died 08 September 1874 and his father John Teagle died the next day 09 September 1874.
    Thanking you in anticipation, Marls Mesenberg

2.   Sallee
    November 23rd, 2013 | 12:21 am      

I help my friend find his family, he was adopted . Born 22/11/ 1974.
    Pamela ruth hoskinson, 24 years old of Po box 7 hamilton was married to brian michael hoskinson. his father was peter harold hoskinson. Pamela was born in 1950.Maiden name Alexander.
    Kind regards Sallee. I have the papers too
    Sent from my iPhone

3.   John Hills
    February 16th, 2014 | 7:30 pm      

Hi my name is John Hills my great great grandfather was Joseph Hills from Hamilton via Soham Cambridgeshire cutesy of His majesty government seems I Had lots of relatives from around Hamilton and New Norfolk areas.I,m presently in Hobart from 17/2/2014 till 21/2/2014

4.   levendale20
    February 18th, 2014 | 8:20 pm      

Thank you John for your message and I have emailed to the group for them to respond to you. Best wishes, Sue

5.   Gerry Burke
    May 9th, 2014 | 1:25 pm      

What are your hours of operation ? I will be passing through Hamilton on 4th June 2014. My interest in Hamilton is my maternal great grandparents JAMES ARTHUR JACKSON and EDITH MAUDE BURGESS were Hamilton residents.
    I am aware of some of the history but maybe there might be small snippets of information I may pick up

6. May 9th, 2014 | 2:13 pm      

Thank you Gerry for your message. The heritage centre is managed by the council http://centralhighlands.tas.gov.au/ which is next door. They are open business hours and they will be able to assist you.

7.   Peter Oakley
    May 22nd, 2014 | 7:46 am      

Seeking some help on finding a property or Derwent River location that has vanished in the mists of time.

Trying to find a place called “Sandy Point” from the 1840 period. May well have been on the Ellendale side of modern Lake Meadowbank towards the dam itself. Could be a connection with the Rayner family who had “Fairydale’ and “Sandy Gully” properties in the same area.

Any help greatly appreciated.