Hamilton District Historical Society

Contact: Elizabeth Fraser.  lizzy46@bigpond.com C/- Post Office, Hamilton Tasmania 7140. Small museum and archives held in the old Warden building next to the Council Chambers.

The Hamilton collection consists of family documents, photographs and objects. A new display of Matron Elizabeth Orr who worked in South Africa during the first world war.

17 thoughts on “Hamilton District Historical Society

1. I am hoping that you might have some archival records associated with the deaths of a father and son at Hamilton. George Wynne Teagle aged 1 died 08 September 1874 and his father John Teagle died the next day 09 September 1874.
    Thanking you in anticipation, Marls Mesenberg

2. I help my friend find his family, he was adopted . Born 22/11/ 1974.
    Pamela ruth hoskinson, 24 years old of Po box 7 hamilton was married to brian michael hoskinson. his father was peter harold hoskinson. Pamela was born in 1950.Maiden name Alexander.
    Kind regards Sallee. I have the papers too
    Sent from my iPhone

3. Hi my name is John Hills my great great grandfather was Joseph Hills from Hamilton via Soham Cambridgeshire cutesy of His majesty government seems I Had lots of relatives from around Hamilton and New Norfolk areas.I,m presently in Hobart from 17/2/2014 till 21/2/2014

4. Thank you John for your message and I have emailed to the group for them to respond to you. Best wishes, Sue

5. Hi there :)
    I’m researching Anne Vernon, my 3rd great grandmother – she married a Stratton on release. I have quite a bit of information but am confused as to how many children she had and would like anything else I can get. Are you aware of much information, stories, photos or anything on her?

6. What are your hours of operation ? I will be passing through Hamilton on 4th June 2014. My interest in Hamilton is my maternal great grandparents JAMES ARTHUR JACKSON and EDITH MAUDE BURGESS were Hamilton residents.
    I am aware of some of the history but maybe there might be small snippets of information I may pick up

7. Seeking some help on finding a property or Derwent River location that has vanished in the mists of time.

Trying to find a place called “Sandy Point” from the 1840 period. May well have been on the Ellendale side of modern Lake Meadowbank towards the dam itself. Could be a connection with the Rayner family who had “Fairydale’ and “Sandy Gully” properties in the same area.

Any help greatly appreciated.

8. My GG Grand mother Mary Donaldson (Nee Beach) is listed as dying at the mill Hamilton Tasmania. Her husband John Henry Donaldson was a flower miller. I was hoping that someone may know where the mill was located and if there are any remains?

Regards Greg

9. Hoping you have information on Samuel Michael drake born 1852 could be michael samual drake born east coast to susan mundy & samuel drake new information is that Thomas Drake was his father & they lived at Bothwell also James Hann adopted him James owned farm called LUFTON & it was left to samuel after Jame’s wife died? any imformation would be helpful. Thank you.

10. Hi,

Im seaching for information too on “Rayner family” from Hamilton. In particular on the location of property of “Sandy Gale” and “Fairydale”. Im interested in the ownership of the property. I am a descendant of Mary Ann Lawrence who married Robert Hallier Rayner in 1840.

Any assistance would be fantastic- maps – modern names

11. Dear Tanya,

Curiously I just recently helped someone on the AUS-Tasmania mailing list with similar information regarding Samuel Michael Drake.

Search that list and you will find that thread. Contact for me could be made through the list if able to assist more…

Peter J Oakley

12. Hi, My interest is in any information on John Smith who was a convict transported to Tasmania. John’s conduct record indicates that he was initially sent to Hamilton.I noticed the heritage centre was a place convicts were sent so he may have stayed there? The appropriation list shows that soon after John was assigned to Mr. Mark, a ticket of leave man, at New Norfolk. He was still with Mark in July 1839 when admonished for disobedience of orders and neglect of duty. He was appointed as a police constable on 26 October 1839 and stationed at Hamilton. I wonder if he saw any irony in now being a policeman after his run-ins with the law? His appointment probably indicated that the authorities had developed some trust in him, plus the fact that he was “a powerful man”. In February 1841 Constables John Smith and Charles Atkins placed 50 ewe sheep in the Public Pound at Hamilton.(Colonial Times 16.2.1841) I noticed on your site a photo of policemen and I wondered if he might be one of them? Is the old police station still there?
    John’s convict record shows that he was reprimanded on 2 May 1840 for neglect of duty and again on 20 January 1843 for misconduct. On 2 February 1844 he was found to have neglected his duty by which John Woolley, a felon, escaped from the watchhouse. He was dismissed from the police force and sentenced to four months hard labour. He received his ticket of leave on 11 March 1845 and received his pardon on 23 November 1847.
    He lived with his wife Elizabeth in Hamilton for about 10 years and they had 7 children, 4 of them born in Hamilton. I noticed there is an old school house but not sure if it was there in 1840’s?
    I’m looking into a trip to Tassie so would be glad to hear what buildings, photos, registers you might have pertaining to this family.

13. Hello,
    Do you know anything about a house in Hamilton under the name “Millhouse”. I have a reference of one Montford Jenkins having that address in the mid 1920s.

14. Good morning.

Re; Benjamin Parker.

I am trying to research any information on my Great Grandfather Benjamin Parker, who was resident in the Hamilton District in the late 1800’s. The only specific detail that I have been able to trace is his marriage to my Great Grandmother Elizabeth Mabel Wright on 17th April 1887. The registration entry records his age as 28 which would mean he was born about 1859, but where?

From Elizabeth Wright’s records it would appear they had one child born pre-marriage, Eliza Grace Parker (born 1886).

After the marriage there appears to be an additional 4 children where Benjamin Parker was the father but I have been unable to prove this as birth records do not name the father.

These children were:

Benjamin Weymouth Parker (1888-1893)

Ellen Jane Parker (1895-1925) also known as Ellen Jane Squires

David Monto Parker (1898-1973) Generally known as David Monto Squires, and many later documents list his father as Henry Squires. Monty Squires was my Grandfather.

Eileen Blanche Parker (1900-1919) alo known as Eileen Blanche Squires.

All the named persons lived in or around the Hamilton district.

Basically, the life of Benjamin Parker before and after the marriage to Elizabeth Wright is a mystery, and any information the you may have would be of great assistance.

Looking forward to your reply,

Kind regards

David Squires
    New Zealand

15. Hi I am looking for Michael Whelan b abt 1821 Ireland d dec 1883 Launceston- his wife Emma Curren b 1836- d 27 april 1874,
    and their children Elizabeth- James Michael- Michael Thomas, any info on them would be great