Hamilton District Historical Society

Contact: Elizabeth Fraser.  [email protected] C/- Post Office, Hamilton Tasmania 7140. Small museum and archives held in the old Warden building next to the Council Chambers.

The Hamilton collection consists of family documents, photographs and objects. A new display of Matron Elizabeth Orr who worked in South Africa during the first world war.

12 Responses to “Hamilton District Historical Society”

1.   Marlene Mesenberg
    March 18th, 2013 | 10:56 am      

I am hoping that you might have some archival records associated with the deaths of a father and son at Hamilton. George Wynne Teagle aged 1 died 08 September 1874 and his father John Teagle died the next day 09 September 1874.
    Thanking you in anticipation, Marls Mesenberg

2.   Sallee
    November 23rd, 2013 | 12:21 am      

I help my friend find his family, he was adopted . Born 22/11/ 1974.
    Pamela ruth hoskinson, 24 years old of Po box 7 hamilton was married to brian michael hoskinson. his father was peter harold hoskinson. Pamela was born in 1950.Maiden name Alexander.
    Kind regards Sallee. I have the papers too
    Sent from my iPhone

3.   John Hills
    February 16th, 2014 | 7:30 pm      

Hi my name is John Hills my great great grandfather was Joseph Hills from Hamilton via Soham Cambridgeshire cutesy of His majesty government seems I Had lots of relatives from around Hamilton and New Norfolk areas.I,m presently in Hobart from 17/2/2014 till 21/2/2014

4.   levendale20
    February 18th, 2014 | 8:20 pm      

Thank you John for your message and I have emailed to the group for them to respond to you. Best wishes, Sue

5.   Gerry Burke
    May 9th, 2014 | 1:25 pm      

What are your hours of operation ? I will be passing through Hamilton on 4th June 2014. My interest in Hamilton is my maternal great grandparents JAMES ARTHUR JACKSON and EDITH MAUDE BURGESS were Hamilton residents.
    I am aware of some of the history but maybe there might be small snippets of information I may pick up

6. May 9th, 2014 | 2:13 pm      

Thank you Gerry for your message. The heritage centre is managed by the council http://centralhighlands.tas.gov.au/ which is next door. They are open business hours and they will be able to assist you.

7.   Peter Oakley
    May 22nd, 2014 | 7:46 am      

Seeking some help on finding a property or Derwent River location that has vanished in the mists of time.

Trying to find a place called “Sandy Point” from the 1840 period. May well have been on the Ellendale side of modern Lake Meadowbank towards the dam itself. Could be a connection with the Rayner family who had “Fairydale’ and “Sandy Gully” properties in the same area.

Any help greatly appreciated.

8.   tanya barwick
    August 5th, 2014 | 5:25 pm      

Hoping you have information on Samuel Michael drake born 1852 could be michael samual drake born east coast to susan mundy & samuel drake new information is that Thomas Drake was his father & they lived at Bothwell also James Hann adopted him James owned farm called LUFTON & it was left to samuel after Jame’s wife died? any imformation would be helpful. Thank you.

9.   Leanne Sosniak
    September 9th, 2014 | 12:20 pm      

Hi,

Im seaching for information too on “Rayner family” from Hamilton. In particular on the location of property of “Sandy Gale” and “Fairydale”. Im interested in the ownership of the property. I am a descendant of Mary Ann Lawrence who married Robert Hallier Rayner in 1840.

Any assistance would be fantastic- maps – modern names

10.   Peter Oakley
    September 11th, 2014 | 1:41 pm      

Dear Tanya,

Curiously I just recently helped someone on the AUS-Tasmania mailing list with similar information regarding Samuel Michael Drake.

Search that list and you will find that thread. Contact for me could be made through the list if able to assist more…

Regards,

Peter J Oakley